Action Plan by Cantonment Board, Shillong
- Segregation of Waste at Source Programme: For Segregation of waste at source, it is mandatory that each individual Household has separate dustbins for bio-degradable and non biodegradable waste, where waste has to be separated andsegregated by the individual itself at source, which is also as per the Solid Waste ManagementRules 2016 which has to be abided by strictly.
In order to be able to attain segregation of waste at source and for further mobilizationand to bring immense and active participation of the public, regular awareness drive amongst 7 wards is being carried out to educate public of Shillong Cantonment about the benefits ofsegregation of waste and to make them distinguish between bio-degradable waste and non bio-degradable waste
- Decentralized Solid Waste Management: Decentralized Solid waste managementmeans treating of waste at source in order to reduce the amount of waste produce at site. The Shillong Cantonment Board has already written to Bethany Society for sending the concept noteon zero waste, and they have sent us with a concept note on Zero Waste Management (Garbageto Gold). For implementing the Zero Waste Garbage to Gold on a pilot study basis. approx 10households are being selected so as to implement the same immediately
- Awareness Programme Training Programme on Segregation of Waste in Shillong Cantonment: In order to bring about active participation of the public and to bring awareness to the public in army area and to bring active participation of the different Communities within Cantonment , on the importance of Segregation of waste at source , several Awareness Programme/ Training Programme has to be organized at different places of civil area and different unit of army areas, also for better achievement of the gold of segregation of waste participation for all sections of society is of great importance, the informal waste collectors, that falls within Cantonment Area. All these sections of society play an important role in maintaining cleanliness of the environment and needs to be educated about the importance of segregation ofwaste at source
- Cleaning of Drains and Group Latrine of Cantonment Area: Regularcleaning of the drains and Group latrines is done in all the Shillong Cantonment areas
- Repairing of drains and Group Latrines and converting the existingGroup latrines into DRDO biodegradable. Process to convert the existing Grouplatrines into DRDO biodegradable is under process and implementation for the same is underprogress.
- (Open defecation free) Ward: Process to declare Shillong Cantonment Area as ODF (Open defecation free) ward is under process. A public notice mandatory as per ODFprotocol has been issued on 24.06.2017
- Sewage lines and Sewage Treatment Plant: Cantonment Board, Shillong haswritten to Government of Meghalaya to know the status of the implementation of its Sewage Treatment plant and whether Shillong Cantonment is part of the programme. Meeting on the same has also taken place between CEO Shillong cantonment and Additional chief Secretary, MUDA officials and other stakeholders. A proposal from the state government along with theconfirmation on the above has been received on 30.06.2017 by Shillong Cantonment board.After getting indicative estimate of the work to be done by Shillong cantonment for installingsewer lines and connecting to the main sewer line passing through the cantonment area Principal Director Defence Estates (Kolkata) has sought appointment of Chief Secretary, Government of Meghalaya to discuss the matter so that the project can be taken to a logicalconclusion. The meeting is scheduled on 06.07.2017 at 3:30 pm
- Anti litter Hall of Shame campaign: Shillong Cantonment Board has started Hall of Shame campaign using Social media i.e. Twitter (https://twitter.com/ShillongCantt ) where in videos of all those who are littering on roads are uploaded so that to deter others from littering on the roads and to act as a deterrence for other from throwing Garbage on the road.
Links of Shillong Cantonment Board's Anti Litter Hall of Shame Campaign
- Installation of DRDO Bio-Digester toilet: 1(One)Number Of DRDO Bio Digester Toilet has been Installed In the Cantonment Board Community Hall, Jhalupara Shillong. Further Work for Installation Of Drdo Bio-Toilet by converting the Existing Group Latrines Into Bio-toilet are in Progress