Weekly Reports of the Action taken on Maintenance of Cleanliness in and around Shillong city
|Sl.No.||Name of the Activity/Events as directed by the Supervisory Committee or as initiated by the agency itself||Date of the activity/Events and name of locality/location||Total no. of persons attended/Total no of locality/places (indicate as applicable)||Outcome of the Activity/Event||Proposed follow up with timelines||Remarks|
|1||- On the reports submitted by the Shillong Municipal Board, it is noted that a better watch dog mechanism be put in place especially on indiscriminate dumping committed by unknown persons .||Currently the monitoring and prevention of indiscriminate is being carried out through the CTV's, Security Personnel, the Waste Patrol and the supervisors. As informed the EE UAD has processed for purchase of 20 more CCTV's.||-||At least 6 violators have been identified through the CCTV's . Several others have been penalised by the supervisors. As at present at least 5 dumping spots have been remove through constant monitoring.||Continue the constant monitoring along with awareness drive as per the prepared calendar. Target is to eradicate open dumping by November 2017.|
|2||- The Chairman also insisted that Shillong Municipal Board should provided better collection centres.||A revised routing plan has been prepared and is being reviewed by the Supervisors in consulation with the localities. The same is likely to be finalised by 21st July 2017.||-||The expected outcome would be that with the revised routes, it would become more convenient for people to dispose their waste in the garbage vehicles rather than in the open or on the streams and roadsides.|
|3||- The Shillong Municipal Board shall have in place a Quick Response Team to response and complaints received on littering/dumping.||A complaint cell has been set up, to receive complaints and monitor responses. In addition a stand-by team consisting of a driver and two attendants is provided with the cell for quick response.||-||The Complaint cell would be publicised by 20th Jully 2017.|
|4||Other activities||A cleaning drive was carried out in Dhankheti on the 15th July 2017 as per the prepared calendar||the cleaning drive was carried out by the workers of SMB.||All the clogged drains and the jungle clearing left by the PWD have been cleared||Notices to shops and Commercial establishments to adhere to waste management rules and directions of SMB to be served by 19th July 2017.|
|5||Waste Collection vehicles handed over to 11 localities of Nongthymmai areas||-||Expected outcome is that with the improvement of waste collectio services in the areas outside SMB, the maintenance of cleanliness would also improved||Monitoring for compliance to SWM Rules 2016.|
|Sl. No||Date||Location||Activity||Supervisor - Action by|
|1||24th June 2017||Laban Municipal Market||Consultation with Shopkeepers for the Micro plan and Cleaning Drive of the Municipal Market||P. Syiemiong|
|2||25th June 2017||Mawlong Hat||Joint Cleaning Drive with Syiem of Mylliem and Cantonment Board and sentisation of workers||L. Sohtun|
|4||27th June 2017||Laitumkhrah Market||Consultation with Shopkeepers for the Micro plan and Cleaning Drive||P. Kharkongor|
|5||28th June 2017||Bishnupur Market||Consultation with Shopkeepers for the Micro plan and Cleaning Drive||P. Syiemiong & S. Syiemlieh|
|6||29th June 2017||Polo Bazaar||Consultation with Shopkeepers for the Micro plan and Cleaning Drive||K. Shangpliang|
|7||30th June 2017||Mophran to Garikhana||Joint Cleaning Drive with Syiem of Mylliem and Cantonment Board and sentisation of workers and shopkeepers||L. Sohtun|
|8||2nd July 2017||Police Bazaar||Consultation with Shopkeepers and Task Force for the Micro plan and Cleaning Drive||M. Lyngdoh & A. Umdor|
|9||8th July 2017||Laitumkhrah- Donbosco to Fire Brigade jn||Sensitisation of Shopkeepers, Public Awareness Generation and Cleaning Drive||P. Kharkongor|
|10||15th July 2017||Dhankheti||Sensitisation of Shopkeepers, Public Awareness Generation and Cleaning Drive||P. Kharkongor|
|11||22nd July 2017||Malki Market||Sensitisation of Shopkeepers, Public Awareness Generation and Cleaning Drive||P. Kharkongor|
|12||29th July 2017||Red Cross to Laban PS||Sensitisation of Shopkeepers, Public Awareness Generation and Cleaning Drive||P. Syiemiong|
Parameters For Grading Of Localities
|Segregation and storage of waste at source||Drainage system|
|Open dumping sites||Level of Community Participation and Existence of Task Force/Sanitation Committee|
|Management of Construction & Demolition Waste||Domestic animals management|
|Management of Bulk Waste Generators like markets, events, large establishments.||Recreational parks/fields/centres management|
|Management of plastic waste and, whether the locality has any innovative ways to contain indiscriminate plastic usage||Absence/Presence of resource recovery groups/centres.|
|Cleanliness and orderliness of the commercial establishment and shopping centres.||Over all physical appearance of the locality (Hedges, Meadows, Bio-fences, gates, etc.)|
|Streets, Road and lane sweeping||Street Lighting System and orderly installation of lamp posts.|
|Other Public Conveniences and amenities set-up and maintenance||Cables wiring management|
|Open Defecation||Display Boards and advertisement management.|
|Direct discharge of Sewage, Fecal Matter||Footpaths and lane development and management.|
Other Actions Taken
- Rotary Club will joint SMB in the awareness generation and cleaning drive to be conducted at Police Bazaar on 2nd July 2017 (Sunday).
- Intensified Waste Management Patrol (I patrol for 2-Zones) is put in place from 23rd June.
- Cleaning drive of Bivar and Bishop Cotton Road conducted on 17th June.
- Review with Zonal i/c conducted daily from 21st June and the daily reviews will continue till a sustained system is put in place after which the frequency will be kept every alternate days or less but not less than twice a week.
- Zonal Plan put in place.
- Markets and Shopping complexes to be engaged on micro basis. We are starting with our own markets of Laban on 24th June, Laitumkhrah on 27th June, Bishnupur on 28th and Polo Market on 29th June 2017.
- 3 more supervisors to be added from existing manpower.
- Selection made, training and deployment by 28th June 2017.
- Communication to CE PWD regarding unattended debris and removal of the same was made on 21st February 2017.
- Smart Phones distributed to all supervisors on 22nd June for convenience and real time monitoring and reporting.
- Daily reporting as per designed format started by all levels from 17th June 2017.
- CCTV footage is collected and is being analyzed.
- Meeting with Cantt. Board Officials and representative of Hima Mylliem for joint cleaning, supervision and monitoring of Mawlong Hat to District Council Jn, through Bara Bazaar road and Motphran held on 17th June followed by a joint inspection on the 19th June 2017.
- Joint supervision of the areas started from 20th June 2017.
- A joint cleaning of all the drains and the open dumps at Mawlong hat to be held on 25th June 2017.
- Joint reporting format designed and distributed and will be used from 25th June.
Zero Littering Campaign
Children as Co-Creators of the best practices of waste management
- 90 Schools are invited to participate in the Zero Littering Campaign for Shillong City.
- In 69 schools orientation training to students has been done. It covered over 6000 students.
- 31 schools have already taken up the Signature Campaign, the students are given the Zero Littering Crusader’s Badge, the signature campaign form and the Pledge Postcards.
- 30 schools have been recommended to the DC to provide signboards for the roads and areas the schools are minding and maintaining it clean and green.
- DC has appointed an ADC and Research Assistant in his office to co-ordinate on the Zero Littering Campaign Plans.
- 20 schools have undertaken special cleanliness drive in their respective areas.
Zero Littering signature campaign forms and postcard have been developed.